A bus tour provides a relaxing, cost-efficientalternative to sightseeing by car. In addition, sightseeing by bus affords a unique opportunity to learn more about the region you’re exploring. Tours are often narrated by guides who are intimately familiar with the area, and are trained to call your attention to points of interest you might otherwise have missed. You’ll also enjoy the camaraderie of other tourists who share in your excitement at viewing the natural wonders of South Dakota.
Most bus tours offer convenient pick-up and drop-off at local hotels and campgrounds. The ticket price generally includes admission, lunch, and taxes. Many services offer free tickets for children. There are sightseeing buses available for all of western South Dakota’s major attractions:
- Mount Rushmore National Memorial: A frequent stop for tour buses, Mount Rushmore is South Dakota’s top tourist attraction, with more than two million visitors annually. The awe-inspiring sculpture features rock carvings of four of our most acclaimed presidents: George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Theodore Roosevelt, and Abraham Lincoln.
- Crazy Horse Memorial: The world’s largest mountain carving, the Crazy Horse Memorial commemorates one of South Dakota’s most prominent Native Americans, and represents the state’s rich heritage and history. The carving has been in progress for more than 50 years, and is a popular destination of sightseeing bus tours.
- Needles Highway: Bus tours afford magnificent views of the rock formations located along this scenic route and the adjacent Iron Mountain Road.
- Custer State Park: Abundant buffalo and other wildlife, pristine lakes, and verdant forests can be viewed from bus tours of this historical state park.
- Harney Park: This popular state park is home to Harney Peak, the highest mountain range east of the Rockies.
- Badlands National Park: Several bus tours explore this awe-inspiring 244,000-acre park, home to ancient fossil beds, dramatic spires, mixed-grass prairies, and deep ravines. Tourists also enjoy up-close viewings of diverse wildlife.