Custer State Park Camping
Located in the heart of the scenic Black Hills of South Dakota, Custer State Park is a prime destination for campers. Within its 71,000 acres of stunning landscapes, verdant forests, and abundant wildlife, thousands of campers discover the natural wonders for which western South Dakota is renowned. Campers enjoy ample outdoor recreational activities, including hiking, biking, horseback riding, fishing, and rock climbing. Sleeping beneath the stars in this historical park, you can experience its rich culture and heritage in the same way as the early 18th century settlers who set up camp during their explorations of the region.
Campgrounds in Custer State Park
Below are just some of the scenic, tranquil campgrounds situated within the boundaries of Custer State Park:
- Blue Bell Campground: With 35 campsites, this mid-sized campground offers quiet, shady lots, a dining and meeting area, flush toilets and showers, hayrides, horseback riding, and more. 23 camping cabins are also available. All major Black Hills attractions are within close proximity.
- Center Lake Campground: This shady campground is the largest in the park, with 71 available sites. All major Black Hills attractions, including Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse, and Wind Cave, can be reached by car in an hour or less.
- Game Lodge Campground: Located along the east edge of Custer State Park, this scenic campground includes 59 sites, some of which provide good shade. Amenities include showers, flush toilets, and sewage facilities. The State Game Lodge & Resort is nearby, as are a full-service restaurant, buffalo rides, mountain bike rentals, and ample hiking along Custer State Park Trails.
- Grace Coolidge Campground: With 27 mostly shaded campsites, this mid-sized campground offers showers, flush toilets, ample hiking, fishing in the Grace Coolidge Walk-in Fishing Area, and the nearby Coolidge General Store. Campers are less than an hour’s drive to Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse, and other popular tourist attractions.
- Sylvan Lake Camp: For a serene, tranquil camping experience, look no further than Sylvan Lake. The 39 sites are in close proximity to abundant water recreation, hiking, rock climbing, and the Sylvan Lake Resort. All major Black Hills attractions are less than an hour’s drive away.
- Legion Lake Campground: The smallest campground in Custer State Park, Legion Lake includes 26 sites. Campers enjoy showers, flush toilets, a playground, and easy access to the Legion Lake Resort, restaurant, and gift shop. Fishing, boating, and mountain biking are available. All major Black Hills attractions, including Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse, and Wind Cave, can be reached by car in less than an hour.
- Stockade Lake North Campground: This mid-size campground offers 43 sites situated along the west edge of the park. On-site amenities include a playground, flush toilets, and showers. Within ¼ mile, campers can find ample fishing, hiking, and boating.
See all South Dakota Campgrounds
You May Also Be Interested In...