Get ready to rodeo!
South Dakota doesn’t have any major professional sports teams, but we do have something in the way of sports that a lot of other states don’t: a vibrant and active rodeo culture.
There are lots of great rodeos in South Dakota, both professional and amateur. I’ve listed some of the upcoming events below.
Professional Rodeo Cowboys Association
(This is the big-leagues of rodeo. It consists of full-time competitors who travel all over the country.)
- Corn Palace Stampede Rodeo, July 16-19, Mitchell. Most of the state’s rodeos and cowboys are located west of the Missouri River, but this one is east of the river in highly accessible Mitchell. It’s a Professional Rodeo Cowboys Association-affiliated event, so it attracts some of the top competitors in the world. The week also includes special events such as a rodeo and chili cook-off.
- Days of ’76 Rodeo, July 21-25, Deadwood. This is another PRCA-affiliated rodeo. Located in Deadwood, it’s the perfect place for novice rodeo fans. You can make the rodeo part of your vacation, as Deadwood has loads of other attractions and is near many of the Black Hills’ wonders.
- Catfish Stampede, Aug. 7-8, Onida.
- Sturgis Western Heritage Days PRCA Rodeo, Aug. 14-15, Sturgis.
- Dacotah Stampede Rodeo, Aug. 17-18, Aberdeen.
- Riverboat Days PRCA Rodeo, Aug. 21-22, Yankton.
- Range Days Rodeo, Aug. 27-29, Rapid City.
- S.D. Capital-Legends PRCA Rodeo, Aug. 29, Fort Pierre.
South Dakota Rodeo Association
(This is kind of like the Minor Leagues of the rodeo world. The participants are part-time rodeo competitors who compete mostly in state or regional rodeos.)
- July 25-26, Timber Lake Days of 1910 Rodeo
- Aug. 1-2, Isabel Rodeo
- Aug. 5, Selby Area Rodeo
- Aug. 7-9, Faith Stock Show & Rodeo
- Aug. 8-9, Scottie Stampede
- Aug. 15-16, White River Frontier Days Rodeo
- Aug. 15-16, Perkins Co Fair & Rodeo-Bison
- Sept. 5-6, Campbell County Rodeo-Herreid
- Sept. 5-6, Wagner Labor Day Rodeo
- Sept. 6-7, Buffalo Labor Day Rodeo
- Sept. 11-12, Hermosa Rodeo
- Sept. 12-13, Oelrichs Last Round Up