Labor Day weekend events at state parks
From the state Department of Game, Fish and Parks:
PIERRE, S.D. – Labor Day weekend marks the unofficial end of the summer, and South Dakota State Parks invite you to come out and enjoy special weekend events.
- Over the River and Through the Woods hike, Lewis and Clark Recreation Area near Yankton, Sept. 3, at 7 p.m. CDT. Take an evening hike along the Gavin’s Point Nature Trail. Info: 605-668-2985
- Southern Hills Triathlon, Angostura Recreation Area near Hot Springs, Sept. 4, at 7 a.m. MDT. Athletes can participate in a kids’ triathlon, sprint triathlon, Olympic distance triathlon, or duathlon. There is a fee to participate in the event and individuals or teams may enter. Participants can register online at www.active.com . Info: 605-745-4463 or 605-745-3494
- Pie Iron Cooking is a Piece of Cake, Lewis and Clark Recreation Area near Yankton, Sept. 4, at 4 p.m. CDT. Learn the basics of Dutch oven cooking, from starting a fire to using pie irons. Info: 605-668-2985
- All Campers’ Potluck, Indian Creek Recreation Area near Mobridge, Sept. 4, at 5:30 p.m. CDT. The entire campground is invited to a potluck. Entertainment will be provided by a DJ. Info: 605-845-7112
- Campsite Decorating Contest, Oakwood Lakes State Park near Volga and Lake Poinsett Recreation Area near Arlington, Sept. 4-5. Campers, bring supplies to decorate your campsites! Judging takes place at 5 p.m. CDT Saturday. Prizes for all! Info: 605-627-5441
- Kids Bicycle Parades, Sept. 5, at 9:30 a.m. CDT at North Point Recreation Area and 11:30 a.m. CDT at Randall Creek Recreation both near Pickstown. Kids need to bring only their bikes, as decorations will be provided for these end-of-the-summer events! Info: 605-487-7046.
- Palisades Amazing Family Dash, Palisades State Park near Garretson, Sept. 5, at 10 a.m. CDT. Can your family make it in this fast-paced race? The real challenge is, before you can travel to your next location, you’ll need to complete a special task. Teams must include children younger than 17 and at least one adult. Prizes will be awarded to the top three teams. Pre-registration is not required. Info: 605-594-3824.
For more information on the South Dakota State Parks, please visit www.gfp.sd.gov or call 605-773-3391. To learn about park programs in your area, contact your local state park office.