Mount Vernon, SD

We are a growing progressive community located twelve miles west of Mitchell, South Dakota. Mount Vernon is one mile north of Interstate 90.

History

Mount Vernon was originally called Arlandton after the man who provided shelter for travelers who were on their way up the Fort Thompson trail. It became Mount Vernon when the railroad pushed westward from Mitchell after 1881. The Post Office department requested the change because Arlandton was too much like the existing Arlington.

Recreation/Community Events

The community center and school is named after Tom E. Young who passed away June 23, 2005 after battling cancer. The bell above from the old school was transferred along with the name plate for Young that was added to the new location.

Contact Information

 

Categories: Cities, Eastern SD

Write a Comment

Leave a Reply